Monday, February 11, 2013

My Four-Inch Garden

THINK SMALL! NOT BIG IN THE GARDEN

I could lose my Texas citizenship for talking like that…but it’s true.
As you plan your garden, think about the small, handy spots you can use for gardening.
Even if you have a 1,000-acre ranch, if your garden is out of sight and too big, you won’t tend it, you won’t enjoy it, and you’ll feel guilty. Formula for failure.
My favorite garden is four inches wide. It runs along the fence up the driveway between the garage and alley. When we moved in it was a rock bed with weeds poking out like acne on a teenager’s face.
Take out the rocks, add a little compost and a metal edge to keep the dirt in, those four inches have hosted everything from peas to morning glories to cucumbers.  I see that mini-garden every time I pull in the drive. It’s easy to pull a weed or two, or guide a vine up a trellis.
The neighbors see it, and it becomes a conversation piece.
Last summer our neighbor Chef Peter Collins showed me how to make garlic/dill pickles, and we put up 19 quarts from that little garden, and ate all the fresh cukes we could handle. (No, we’re not giving away free samples, this ain’t Eatzi’s.)
What “little garden” will you start this spring? 

No comments:

Post a Comment